Lately, I haven’t really had much of a craving for anything in particular. That makes deciding what’s for dinner pretty difficult. Especially when the best suggestion my wife can make is “something good.” While searching for things to make, I came across recipes for Tater Tot Casseroles. Some looked good, some looked bad. I decided this would make a cheap and wholesome meal. I went to the grocery store and bought just a couple of things. Most things I already had on hand. This is what I threw together:
Tater Tot Casserole
1 1/3 pound beef for carne asada(large ground beef)
1 tsp dried granulated garlic
1 can spicy chili
1 white onion, chopped
1 bag frozen tater tots
3 cups shredded cheese, your choice
8 oz sour cream
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 ts Italian seasonings
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 13×9 baking dish.
- Cook together in a skillet the beef, onions, and garlic. Drain well when thoroughly cooked.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the chili, diced tomatoes, ketchup, Italian seasonings, water, and sour cream.
- Spread the beef mixture along the bottom of a 13×9 greased baking dish. Top with half of the chili mixture. Add half of the cheese. Add frozen tater tots. Top with other half of chili mixture. Top with other half of cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until cooked through.
I used a couple of different blends of cheeses. Kroger had a sale on shredded cheeses, so I used the Casserole blend, Italian blend, and Pizza blend. You can use whatever cheese you like. This casserole reminded me of the simple times while still being a flavorful and delicious dish.