FOR THE SHRIMP MIXTURE
- Fry 3 slices of bacon over medium heat until crisp, reserve bacon.
- Drain all but 3 tbs. of bacon fat.
- Increase heat to med-high, To the bacon fat, add 3 tbs. of flour. Stir constantly until you have a medium/dark roux (the color of milk chocolate)
- To the roux, add 1/2 cup sliced mushroom, 1/4 cup sliced green onion, 2 cloves minced garlic, thinly sliced sun dried tomatoes, salt to taste and fresh ground black pepper. Stir to evenly coat vegetables with the roux. Cook 6-8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add 1 cup cooked shrimp (cleaned and deveined). Stir mixture. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until shrimp begins to brown.
- Thoroughly stir in 1 cup of good quality chicken stock. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer while you make the cheese grits. The roux should thicken the mixture.
- Just before serving over cheese grits, squeeze the juice of 1/2 small lemon into shrimp mixture. Garnish with the reserved crumbled bacon and additional green onion.
FOR THE CHEESE GRITS
- Bring to a boil 1 cup chicken broth, 1 cup milk and 1 1/2 cups water.
- While constantly stirring, add 3/4 cup old fashioned grits.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 10-12 minutes or until grits are thickened.
- Stir in 1 tbs. butter and 1/4 cup manchego cheese.